Dear Thea,
It’s been so long since I’ve taken time to sit down and write. Having a toddler definitely keeps you busy.
You started your first year of school this past September, just a couple weeks before your 4th birthday. I was so nervous about you starting so early, especially since you had only been with a babysitter one on one and not in any structured school like environment, but you have done so well. So well, in fact, that now we have to debate whether to go ahead and let you move to Kindergarten (even though you’ll technically still be 4 when the school year starts) next year or have you do PreK again like we always planned. It sounds silly but I just don’t want to rush your childhood by having you complete school a year early. I know one day you’ll be in a rush to be done and go out into the world on your own, but I want you to have that extra year you’d get before having to face adult responsibilities. However, I also don’t want to do you a disservice by not challenging you. Can you tell that your mom is a seeerious over thinker?!
So, here you are- my amazingly smart, articulate, kind, beautiful little girl. The years have passed way too quickly and I’ve watched you grow into your own person. You have such a funny sense of humor, you love making up your own jokes (“what did the sun say to the yard? fence!”) and doing things just to get a laugh. You love to play pretend, especially “family”. You imagine having a baby brother all the time and I know you’d be the best big sister. It breaks my heart a little each time we’ve had a conversation about our family only having one kid. You are still as strong willed and stubborn as ever and I wish I could say I always handled it with grace and patience and talked with you calmly through conflict... but I yell and get frustrated way more often than I like. We’ve had a lot of “I’m sorry” conversations, followed with lots of hugs and prayers. My prayer is that you see and know, even in my mistakes and failures, how much I love you and care about your feelings.
I love you infinityx3.
Love,
Mommy